Monday, March 10, 2008

A day at the VA

After an extremely long week and weekend at work. I finely took a day off from work to spend the day at home with Trisha. I also had an appointment with the VA today as well. All though I didn’t sleep vary well last night and in to the morning because I was out of med’s and took my last morphing pill on Sunday at noon I didn’t fell vary well this morning and was having a lot of pain both, back and withdraw pain. I forced myself out of bed and on to the coach about 0800 and watch some of the shows I had on the DVR but haven’t been able to watch do to Kristi in town to be with Trisha, and the fact that I’ve been just wiped out from work. On the way to the VA hospital I was listing to my I pod and the song that were playing were really hitting home to me for some reason they were all song I had heard before but for some reason I was really able to relate to what they were saying. A trip to the VA is always an eye opening experience for me not so much with the doctors put watching and looking and the people the Vet’s of war’s past and present. As I was waiting for my med there was man in line that caught my eye. He was a much older man in his late to mid 70’s I would guess his wife I’m sure of many years was with him. This man looked to be in good health unlike some of the other Vets there he did not use a walker or a cane. This man caught my eye because of a hat he was wearing it said WWII veteran with a Purple heart on it under Neath the picture of a purple heart it said combat wounded Marine, I thought to myself wow This man has seen combat and lived through it, he has made the best of his life rather then turning to drugs or alcohol like some of the other Vet’s have done. It was very easy for me to see this man 40 or 50 year younger and in uniform. He still wore the high and tight hair cut of a soldier, his hat sat on his head much like a soldier dose, I looked at some of the other people there and tried to imaging what they looked like back when they served, some were harder than others, and some I could see them serving at all. I tried to imaging what they saw and went through. It was easy to relate to what their life was like in the service having served myself I to was called to leave my home and family, my items of comfort if you will, and go to a foreign land ware I was not wanted and even hate for who I was and what I stud for. But luckily I have never served in combat were the law of War was Kill or be Killed. I did not watch my friends die beside me. I did not fire my weapon at another person who I did not know. But these men have! Some more than once in different war’s in different countries ageist an ever changing enemy. Don’t get me wrong I was ready to do those things at a moment’s notes but thank god I never had to. But these men did some by chose and some did not have a chose they were drafted, guess the draftees had a chose as we’ll serve or flee like some did. These men and women are truly what make this country greet and have help keep us free.
It is vary special for me to see these men wearing there veterans hat that display their medals and which branch of serve and with war they had served in. I wanted to talk to these men and share in that bond that soldier share but I couldn't bring myself to get up and talk to them, I don’t know why but I just couldn’t, I felt vary ashamed and I can’t put a finger on why, is it the fact that I’m out of the Army, or the fact that I never so combat? Or is it something else that eats at me, for whatever the reason I couldn’t get off my ass and talk to them. I got to thinking that I should get a hat as well sense I was part of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Noble Eagle. I walk down to where a man sells hats and shirts to Vets in the hospital to see what he had. This man had all kinds of hat for all different wars and branches of serves. I asked him if he had an OEF and ONE hat. He had told me that he had not heard of ONE but did have OEF hats. I bought one and an Army pin to go on it. Then proudly donned my hat and walk out of the VA to go home. I don’t know if buying and wearing a hat will make me feel any better but hopefully by wearing it that same man I saw today can look at it and know we both had served for a ungrateful nation who would rather spite on you rather then shaking your had and saying thank you for your service. And just maybe next time I see him, I can go to him and shake his hand and say thank you. Just maybe.

Please join my in praying of the men and women of the US armed services.
God we ask you to watch over these brave men and women as they are away from there family's and loved one. Be with them in there times of need. Confert there fear and give them the strength to do what is necessary for them to get home. If they are to die so far a way from home then welcome them into your are and tell them Job Well done Soldier, job well done, be at peace, your pain is no more,
Amen

1 comment:

Trisha said...

My Dear Eternal Love,

I am so proud of you and your service. You may not have seen combat, but you very well could have if it weren't for your injury. I'm proud of everything you have accomplished and everything you will accomplish in the days and years to come.
I will always stand by you, faithfully, as you have me, even when it gets tough.
I love you!